Re: pg_dump exclusion switches and functions/types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump exclusion switches and functions/types
Date: 2006-10-06 17:22:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com> writes:
> Would it be reasonable to include one more switch: 'include
> dependencies' ?

We are two months past feature freeze ... adding entirely new features
to pg_dump is *not* on the table for 8.2. What we need to do at the
moment is make sure that the features we've got work sanely and won't
create headaches for likely future extensions; but not actually
implement those extensions.

> The scenario I most care about is to be able to make a complete data
> base dump (including non-schema objects) while excluding only a few
> tables.

Isn't this the same as Kris' complaint? Why do you need additional
dependency analysis to do the above?