Re: initdb failure

From: "Pankaj Mandal (pmandal)" <pmandal(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: "Jan-Peter Seifert" <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb failure
Date: 2010-04-22 20:52:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Peter,

The link you mention below does not say that Operating System user
postgres, should not have Administrator privileges,
It says user postgres may not have sufficient privileges and could fail
to create the Data directory, in that case, create Data directory by
root user and change ownership to postgres. This is not the case here,
the Data directory does get created and the owner is postgres. It fails
subsequently during initdb though.

Also I have successfully tested the installation on more than half dozen
machines and they are all NTFS file systems.

Thanks
Pankaj