Re: Machine available for community use

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Machine available for community use
Date: 2007-07-25 17:43:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> Unless you did a custom intall, using Ubuntu server would expose the
> people using your server to the quirks of how the Debian packages for
> PostgreSQL differ from other Linux distributions.

I doubt we'd be doing much work with the distro-installed version of
Postgres anyway, so this doesn't seem like a big concern. In fact,
to avoid confusion it might be best if the machine has no
distro-installed Postgres at all. That would help avoid "oops, that
test was run against the wrong server" syndrome.

I do essentially all my development work with installations that are
--prefix'd to user directories and started/stopped by hand; it's just
a lot easier to manage a pile of different versions that way. Plus
I never need to become root. Not sure how other developers work,
though.