Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?)
Date: 2014-04-22 15:06:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:57:34AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm actually planning to set this patch on the shelf for a bit and go
>> investigate the other alternative, ie, not generating composite Datums
>> containing toast pointers in the first place.

> I maintain that the potential slowdown is too great to consider adopting that
> for the sake of a cleaner patch. Your last message examined a 67% performance
> regression. The strategy you're outlining now can slow a query by 1,000,000%.

[ shrug... ] It could also speed up a query by similar factors. I see
no good reason to suppose that it would be a net loss overall. I agree
that it might change performance characteristics in a way that we'd
ideally not do in the back branches. But the fact remains that we've
got a bad bug to fix, and absent a reasonably trustworthy functional fix,
arguing about performance characteristics is a waste of breath. I can
make it arbitrarily fast if it's not required to give the right answer.