Re: get rid of SQL_ASCII?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: get rid of SQL_ASCII?
Date: 2013-09-06 14:19:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> What we SHOULD be doing is making it an explicit decision to use
> SQL_ASCII, and NEVER creating a cluster or database with that encoding
> by default. Ever. If we can't decide what the correct default encoding
> is (say, if locale is "C") we should error out unless a specific flag is
> set.

There's a large undercurrent of "I say it's bad for you" in this thread,
with frankly nothing to back it up. If we try to be as nanny-ish as
you're suggesting here, we'll just annoy users.

And just to push back on the specific point: SQL_ASCII *is* the correct
default encoding for C locale. Both are agnostic about the meaning of
anything outside the 7-bit ASCII set, while not rejecting such data.