Re: tablespace question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ridvan Lakas ng Bayan S(dot) Baluyos" <ridvan(at)baluyos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tablespace question
Date: 2009-05-13 14:30:18
Lists: pgsql-novice
"Ridvan Lakas ng Bayan S. Baluyos" <ridvan(at)baluyos(dot)net> writes:
> I have a postgres database that is running out of disk space.  I'm trying to
> mount additional disk space and make use of tablespace. The question is, is
> it possible for a table to maintain data in the existing tablespace and then
> moving forward insert the new data into a new tablespace?

Any given table can only be in one tablespace.

Usually people with this type of issue set up their disks using LVM or
something similar, so that they can add space into an existing
filesystem.  Another possibility (not mutually exclusive) is to set up
a partitioned table structure.  Unfortunately neither of these solutions
is easy to bolt on after the fact :-(