Re: Test database for new installs?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Test database for new installs?
Date: 2004-11-19 15:57:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> AFAICT, error codes are only accessible through PGresult. But if the
> connection attempt fails, you have at best a PGconn. This is the same kind
> of issue we have with frontends parsing the "no password supplied" message,
> because PQconnect cannot supply an error code in this case.

Oh, right. Yes, we should do something about that. I think we could
invent PQerrorField which is to PQerrorMessage as PQresultErrorField
is to PQresultErrorMessage. The reason I didn't do so during the 7.4
cycle is that errors generated internally within libpq wouldn't have any
field information, at least not without significant hacking on the libpq
sources.