Re: BUG #5199: Window frame clause wrong (?) behaviour

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Iliya Krapchatov <my_working(at)inbox(dot)ru>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5199: Window frame clause wrong (?) behaviour
Date: 2009-11-19 19:55:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Try without the parenthesis in OVER:
> I'm quite surprised by the error message that produces, though...

It's actually correct: the syntax with parens specifies copying
and modifying the named WINDOW definition, but you're not allowed to
copy-and-modify a definition that has a FRAME clause. (Why the spec
says that is beyond me; replacing the FRAME clause seems sensible
enough, but ...)

This isn't terribly well explained in our docs, as far as I can
find at the moment. The SELECT reference page mentions the rule
in the context of a dependent WINDOW-clause definition, but
doesn't explain that OVER with parens acts the same way.
And maybe the error message wording could be improved.