Re: Postmaster shuts down after rebuilding database via psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Averbukh Stella" <Stella(dot)Averbukh(at)arbitron(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postmaster shuts down after rebuilding database via psql
Date: 2006-06-02 14:49:15
Lists: pgsql-general

"Averbukh Stella" <Stella(dot)Averbukh(at)arbitron(dot)com> writes:
> After database was recreated, I do the same ps command but the output is
> completely different. The main postmaster process is gone and there are
> couple of subprocesses that are still hanging there.

Crashes of the main postmaster process are pretty unusual. You haven't
given us much of anything to go on though. Look in the postmaster log
to see if it emits an error message when it quits. Look for a core dump
file and gdb it to get a stack trace. (Make sure you are starting the
postmaster under a ulimit setting that allows dumping core.)

What Postgres version is this exactly, and what operating system?
(No, "sparc10" is not an operating system.)