Re: [BUGS] BUG #3975: tsearch2 index should not bomb out of 1Mb limit

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Edwin Groothuis <postgresql(at)mavetju(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #3975: tsearch2 index should not bomb out of 1Mb limit
Date: 2008-03-07 01:05:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com> writes:
> Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>> Is it possible to make it a WARNING instead of an ERROR? Right now I get:
>>
> No. All of the other types emit an ERROR if you're trying an out of
> range value.

I don't think that follows. A tsearch index is lossy anyway, so there's
no hard and fast reason why it should reject entries that it can't index
completely. I think it would be more useful to index whatever it can
(probably just the words in the first N bytes of the document) than to
prevent you from storing the document.

There is another precedent too, namely that tsearch already discards
individual words over so-many-bytes long. If it doesn't throw an error
for that case, why is it throwing an error for this one?