Re: Good configuration?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: sir_anodos(at)yahoo(dot)com (anodos)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Good configuration?
Date: 2001-11-20 06:22:59
Lists: pgsql-general

sir_anodos(at)yahoo(dot)com (anodos) writes:
> shared_buffers = 96000

800MB of shared buffers in a 1GB machine is almost certainly
a *bad* idea. I don't believe there is any good reason for going
over about a quarter of physical RAM, and one can make a pretty
strong argument that a few thousand shared buffers are enough
no matter how much RAM you have. Leave it to the kernel to use
the rest of RAM. Cf. my comments to mlw today in pgsql-hackers.

> deadlock_timeout = 5000

Do you have any reason for messing with deadlock_timeout?