Re: collations in shared catalogs?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: collations in shared catalogs?
Date: 2015-02-25 17:08:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
> So while helping someone with an unrelated issue, I did a quick query to
> look for collation-dependent indexes, and was rather shocked to find
> that not only are there two such in the system catalogs, both set to
> "default" collation, but that one of them is in a _shared_ catalog
> (pg_shseclabel).

> How did that happen? And how could it possibly work?

It probably doesn't, and the reason nobody has noticed is that the
security label stuff has fewer users than I have fingers (and those
people aren't using provider names that would cause anything interesting
to happen).

The most obvious fix is to change "provider" to a NAME column.

What was the other case? We might want to add a regression test to
check for collation-dependent system indexes ...