Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal 11).

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Cashell <topher-pgsql(at)zyp(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems restarting after database crashed (signal 11).
Date: 2004-07-01 16:49:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Christopher Cashell <topher-pgsql(at)zyp(dot)org> writes:
> [2004-06-30 08:44:53 AM] Failed connection to database template1
> with error: FATAL: the database system is starting up
> .
> [2004-06-30 08:44:53 AM] Failed connection to database template1
> with error: FATAL: the database system is starting up
> .
> [2004-06-30 08:44:53 AM] Error: Cannot connect to template1,
> exiting.

> So, I shut down Postgres, then restarted Postgres, then restarted
> the autovacuum utility, and everything worked just peachy. I'm
> guessing that perhaps the autovacuum tool was trying to connect to
> Postgres while it was replaying the transaction log from not
> having been shut down cleanly, and that's why it choked, but I
> don't know that for sure.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me --- autovacuum just a bit too
quick to give up. You could've just restarted autovacuum once the
database was up.

In 7.5 I think autovacuum will be integrated, and the postmaster won't
bother to start it till the startup sequence is done, so this won't
be an issue.