Re: git diff --check whitespace checks, gitattributes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git diff --check whitespace checks, gitattributes
Date: 2013-11-06 15:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Personally I don't get the mania about trailing whitespace, but maybe
> that's just me.

For me, it's an easily-checked thing that will reduce pgindent noise
later. (Actually I tend to pgindent stuff before committing, these
days, but sometimes that's impractical because somebody's already
committed some not-well-indented stuff elsewhere in the same file.)

> We could certainly implement a hook on the server that would reject
> cases that fail this test, but we might find it hamstrings us a bit in
> future. I'm not sure what else could be done to remedy committer
> forgetfulness, though.

I agree that that would not be a good idea.