Re: Doc reference of contrib modules

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc reference of contrib modules
Date: 2011-01-25 00:06:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Now that our /contrib documentation is in our SGML manual, I want to
> update our docs to link to the actual contrib module documentation,
> rather than just referencing contrib/module_name. We used to have to do
> that when we only had READMEs, but now we can do better.

> Patch attached, and I have a github branch of this too:

This proposed patch seems quite inconsistent. You have removed the term
"contrib" in some places and not others. I'm fine with just referring
to stuff as "the so-and-so module" without use of the word "contrib",
but if that's what we're going to do then all the references should look
like that.

Also, I see some places where you removed the word contrib *without*
turning the reference into a link. I think that's a seriously bad idea,
since it leaves the reader with no hint of where to look in our
thousand-page-plus manual.