Re: questions about migrating form postgres 7 to 8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Piotr Szałamacha <piotr(at)horyzont(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: questions about migrating form postgres 7 to 8
Date: 2006-12-29 04:44:30
Lists: pgsql-general

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Piotr_Sza=B3amacha?= <piotr(at)horyzont(dot)net> writes:
> I have question - is it som kind of guide for migrating from Postgres 7
> to 8 database?

> I tried to simply dump 7 and inject it to 8 but operation failed.

Failed how? And which 7.x and 8.x versions are you talking about?
You need to be a *lot* more specific than that if you want useful
help.

However, the one bit of useful advice I could give you is to read the
release notes for all PG versions between the two you are dealing with.
In theory all the incompatibilities should be mentioned there somewhere.
This URL is always up to date:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release.html