Re: what's stored in pg_tblspc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what's stored in pg_tblspc
Date: 2006-02-13 14:26:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> writes:
> I am confused, I thought that there were only supposed to be links to
> the actual data in pg_tblspc ?

> I have a db defined in a tablspace, but in pg_tblspc there is 1.2G of
> data corrresponding to it?

Are you on a system that has symlinks? Are you sure that whatever tool
you're using to count the space doesn't traverse symlinks?

IIRC, there is a corner case during replay-from-WAL where we'll create
a plain directory under pg_tblspc to substitute for a symlink (if the
symlink isn't there and we don't have the information to recreate it).
I don't believe it's easy to get into that state though.