Re: failed to build any 5-way joins

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Alessandro Depase" <alessandro(dot)depase(at)libero(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: failed to build any 5-way joins
Date: 2003-12-17 15:32:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Alessandro Depase" <alessandro(dot)depase(at)libero(dot)it> writes:
> select *
> from info where parent_infoid is null=20
> and fieldtypeid in (select fieldtypeid from users_auth_groups uag1, field_a=
> uth fa where userid =3D 8 and fa.groupid =3D uag1.groupid)=20
> and main_infoid in (select ic.infoid from info_category ic, category_auth c=
> a, users_auth_groups uag2=20
> where ic.categoryid =3D ca.categoryid and uag2.userid =3D 8 and uag2.grou=
> pid =3D ca.groupid and read_write =3D 'W')=20

Hmm. It's right, there's no way to construct a sub-plan that joins just
that number of relations, because of the constraint that the IN
sub-selects have to be fully formed before we can do IN processing.

A brute force solution is to just remove the error cross-check in
src/backend/optimizer/path/joinrels.c:

if (result_rels == NIL)
elog(ERROR, "failed to build any %d-way joins", level);

I'll probably install some less-drastic fix for 7.4.1, but if you need a
solution right now, that will get you going.