Re: Extensions versus pg_upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions versus pg_upgrade
Date: 2011-02-08 21:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
>> 2. Invent a command "ALTER EXTENSION extname ADD object-description"
>> that simply adds a pg_depend entry marking an existing object as
>> belonging to the extension. I think this was going to be part of the
>> plan anyway for ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, specifically we need that for
>> the bootstrap case of collecting some loose pre-existing objects into
>> an extension.

> In the upgrade patch, that's spelled ALTER OBJECT foo SET EXTENSION bar;
> and does exactly what you're proposing.

OK, that seems like an equally reasonable syntax; although doing it the
way I was thinking might have less of a code and documentation footprint
(I was vaguely imagining that it could share most of the COMMENT
infrastructure --- but haven't looked yet). In any case it seems like
this is a good piece to do next, since the required functionality is
clear and it's essential for more than one reason.