Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Date: 2002-12-19 17:38:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> The issue isn't whether the app is broken or not, (it is), but the
> fact that we ****CHANGED**** behavior with ****NO**** notice

There was notice, to them as were paying attention (eg, anyone who tried
a beta release). More to the point, I can name half a dozen other
incompatible changes in 7.3 (most, but not all, forced by schema
support) that will undoubtedly break some apps. We cannot have a
transition plan and backwards-compatibility kluge for every little
compatibility issue, or our progress will grind to a standstill.

According to the start of this thread, RT's author has recommended that
RT users stick to PG 7.2 until he can fix the app. That seems a
perfectly sensible answer to me.