Re: Why polecat and colugos are failing to build back branches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, robert(at)logicalchaos(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why polecat and colugos are failing to build back branches
Date: 2011-06-15 21:46:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As a secondary point, we have so far used mostly single quotes for
> quoting the installation directories, in case someone wants to try other
> funny characters besides spaces. The most recent patch uses double
> quotes. I'm not sure what degree of support we want to achieve there.

Oh, hm, I had noted double quotes in the one place that wasn't broken in
test/regress/Makefile, and followed that precedent. But you're probably
right that single quotes would be better, since that would prevent funny
business from $ characters for instance. We're not going to be able to
make both types of quote characters safe, unless gmake has some quoting
function I'm not aware of (which is surely possible).