Re: mysql-pgsql comparison

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mysql-pgsql comparison
Date: 2002-01-13 19:51:33
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
> 3. Check out the OSDB benchmark more closely.

> I tried it with current CVS and make test fails (didn't tried
> to find what's the problem). Also, you have to edit configure script -
> it tries to find postgres_fe.h in include directory, which now lives under
> include/internal directory.

I tried to build it on HPUX just now, and was rather sadly disillusioned
about its portability. After fixing several problems in the configure
script, removing hard-coded references to include files and libraries
that don't exist here, etc, I ended up with

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/tgl/tmp/osdb/src/callable-sql/postgres-call'
gcc -L/home/postgres/testversion/lib -lpq -g osdb-pg.o ../callable-sql.o ../../program-control.o ../../osdb.o -o osdb-pg
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
forkpty (code)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Anybody know what forkpty() does? I see it exists in libutil.a on Linux,
but there's no man page for it.

Oh, OSDB also seems to assume that ecpg is in your $PATH. In general,
it's not prepared to deal with a Postgres that's not installed in the
"standard" place.

This thing needs some work :-(