Logging of autovacuum activity

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Logging of autovacuum activity
Date: 2008-04-01 19:02:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am a bit stuck finding out how to log autovacuum activity in PostgreSQL 8.2. In the olden times I used to pipe the pg_autovacuum daemon's output to a file. Now pg_autovacuum has become part of the core, I wonder if there's some other possibility of monitoring its activity?

I've got the following logging-settings set:
client_min_messages = error
log_min_messages = notice
log_error_verbosity = default
log_min_error_statement = notice
log_min_duration_statement = -1
log_line_prefix = '<%t - %p: %r(at)%d>'

Everything else is commented out, i.e. set to defaults. There is however nothing to be found in the logs concerning autovacuum or any standard vacuum at all. I couldn't find anything in the docs regarding the specific logging of vacuum runs. For my nightly vacuum maintenance job, I simply pipe sterr of vacuum verbose analyze to a separate logfile. Concerning autovacuum, I'd like to have some info on when it runs and which tables it has processed. It is running for sure, I can often see the autovacuum process pop up in top. I only see no means of finding out what it actually does when it's running.

Kind regards

Markus

Computec Media AG
Sitz der Gesellschaft und Registergericht: Fürth (HRB 8818)
Vorstandsmitglieder: Johannes S. Gözalan (Vorsitzender) und Rainer Rosenbusch
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Jürg Marquard
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 812 575 276