Re: crypt and null termination

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: crypt and null termination
Date: 2001-08-17 02:51:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It seems to say that the salt passed to crypt should be null-terminated,

Hmm. The HPUX man page for crypt() just says that
salt is a two-character string chosen from the set [a-zA-Z0-9./]
which I think is the traditional spec. Looks like BSD has adopted some
local extensions.

Note that the BSD page specifies that the extended salt format starts
with '_', which is not one of the allowed characters in the traditional
format. I bet they check that before trying to fetch more than 2 bytes.
The second paragraph you quote doesn't say anything about null
termination.

Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a null byte ... couldn't hurt.