Re: Timezone fun (bugs and a request)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timezone fun (bugs and a request)
Date: 2004-05-23 20:58:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> First I initdb'd without TZ set. So every time I start the server I get
> LOG: could not recognize system timezone, defaulting to "Etc/GMT-4"
> HINT: You can specify the correct timezone in postgresql.conf.

So what is your system timezone anyway (and what's the platform)?

> I then changed postgresql.conf to read
> timezone = unknown
> (the difference with the original setting is that the line isn't
> commented).
> The server now behaves different; the timezone is set to GMT rather than
> being guessed from system settings. I think they should work the same.

Hmm, that's strange. I thought they would work the same. Will look
into it.

> alvherre=# select '10:00:00'::time at time zone 'Chile/Continental';
> ERROR: el huso horario "chile/continental" no es reconocido

This is functionality that never has existed. We have perhaps some
chance of coding it now, but it's not a trivial bug fix. The main
problem is that the timezone library API is still based around a global
tzset() setting. We need it to be able to deal with timezone
definitions that are loaded (hopefully only once) but not selected as
the program-wide default.