Re: Cause of "can't wait without a PROC structure"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cause of "can't wait without a PROC structure"
Date: 2002-09-25 20:56:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I said:
> The ordering of these shutdown hooks is the reverse of the ordering
> of the startup initialization of the modules. It looks like we'll
> need to rejigger the startup ordering ... and it also looks like that's
> going to be a rather ticklish issue. (See comments in BaseInit and
> InitPostgres.) Any thoughts on how to do it?

I eventually decided that the most reasonable solution was to leave the
startup sequence alone, and fold the ProcKill and
ShutdownBufferPoolAccess shutdown hooks together. This is a little ugly
but it seems to beat the alternatives. ShutdownBufferPoolAccess was
effectively assuming that LWLockReleaseAll was called just before it,
so the two modules aren't really independent anyway.