Re: 7.0.2 cuts off attribute name

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.0.2 cuts off attribute name
Date: 2000-06-16 02:05:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "G. Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu> writes:
>> I tried changing NAMEDATALEN in the postgres_ext.h to 52. Everything compiled
>> and installed fine, but the initdb failed. Maybe there is more to it than
>> just changing that one constant.

> Hmm, AFAIK that's supposed to work. I'll give it a try sometime ---
> maybe some dependency has snuck in somewhere.

I built current sources with NAMEDATALEN = 52 and didn't see any
problem. Regression tests all passed except for a couple of differences
in the 'name' test --- not too surprising since it was checking for
truncation of names at 31 chars...

You may not have done the build properly. Usually on a reconfiguration
the only safe way is "make clean" and "make all". We don't have
adequate dependency info in the Makefiles to ensure a full rebuild
without "make clean". (I think Peter E. is hoping to fix that soon,
but for now that's how you gotta do it.)