Re: Server locale?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Server locale?
Date: 2002-10-10 14:06:58
Lists: pgsql-general

>> Added to TODO:
>>
>> o Allow SHOW of non-modifiable variables, like pg_controldata

> Ok, I'm looking at guc.c right now and is there any reason why you couldn't
> just add a PGC_READONLY that throws an error when you try to change it. If
> this is the case I'd be willing to give it a shot.

I was thinking of adding a GUC_READONLY bit to the config struct's flags
word, instead. A PGC_ value that doesn't correspond to any possible
SetConfig context seems a little off key, somehow. But it might be
worth adding a PGC_INITDB value to GucContext also ... otherwise there's
no good value to put in the context field for these variables.

Possibly Peter will have a different thought about how it should be
done.