Re: Server error and deadlocks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Orr, Steve" <sorr(at)rightnow(dot)com>
Cc: "'scott(dot)marlowe'" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server error and deadlocks
Date: 2003-01-16 21:06:16
Lists: pgsql-general

"Orr, Steve" <sorr(at)rightnow(dot)com> writes:
> Agreed but what I need rightnow is to find a "smoking gun" to beat the
> duhvelopers on the head with in order to first get their attention. The
> smoking gun would be an example of their poor SQL technique so I can ask
> them, "What were you smoking when you wrote this junk?" In this context, is
> there any way to create some sort of trace log of all the SQL submitted to
> the server for a given time period, database, user, etc.?

See the logging options in postgresql.conf.

If you are interested, attached is the patch I just applied to CVS HEAD
to print out information about deadlocks. It should apply cleanly to
7.3.*. Sample output is

regression=# lock table tenk1;
NOTICE: Proc 27417 waits for AccessExclusiveLock on relation 18987 database 17054; blocked by 27415
NOTICE: Proc 27415 waits for ShareLock on transaction 6446; blocked by 27417
ERROR: deadlock detected
regression=#

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size