Re: Sorting with relevant blank spaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: bargioni(at)usc(dot)urbe(dot)it
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sorting with relevant blank spaces
Date: 2000-11-29 16:12:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Stefano Bargioni <bargioni(at)usc(dot)urbe(dot)it> writes:
> I need to understand why my Postgres 6.5.2 installation sorts results ignoring blanks.

This would be a matter of the LOCALE you are running the code in.
You may want to run the postmaster with environment variable LANG=C
(or possibly LC_ALL=C, depending on your platform).

Caution: this is not something you can change on a whim, because
changing the sort order means any indexes you have on text columns
are now logically out-of-order and thus corrupt. The safest way to
proceed is pg_dumpall, stop postmaster, change LANG, initdb, restart
postmaster, load data. Don't forget to change your system boot script
to ensure the same LANG is provided when you reboot...