Re: Coster/planner and edge cases...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Coster/planner and edge cases...
Date: 2002-04-21 22:06:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com> writes:
> Also I'd also like to know if there is a way to get the planner to burp
> out all the possible plans it considered before selecting a final plan
> or do I need to do a little surgery to get that done?

You can define OPTIMIZER_DEBUG but the interface leaves a lot to be
desired (output to backend stdout, no way to turn it on or off except
recompile...) Also, I believe all you will see are the paths that
survived the initial pruning done by add_path. This is about the
right level of detail for examining join choices, but perhaps not very
helpful for why-didn't-it-use-my-index choices; the paths you wanted
to know about may not have got into the relation's candidate-path list
in the first place.