Re: pg_restore error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Frankel <leknarf(at)pacbell(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore error
Date: 2005-12-02 04:02:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Frankel <leknarf(at)pacbell(dot)net> writes:
> Yes, the tar file contains a file called 1765.dat. A `cat` of that
> file shows nothing more than an empty line (i.e.: a carriage return).

> -rw------- 1 frankel prod 1 Nov 29 11:20 1765.dat

> Extracting the archive, tar reported a "lone zero block." I don't
> know what this refers to.

Hmm, how big is the tarfile, and would you be willing to send it to me?

> I'm happy to either help debug Ft or switch to Fc in my scripts. I
> was under the impression, though, that Ft was required to backup db's
> with blobs. I am storing some thumbnail jpg images in my db.

Either -Fc or -Ft can handle blobs ... and actually, in 8.1 the issue
is gone entirely because plain text pg_dump can too.

> I'd also be interested to know if the pg_restore error is due to my
> upgrade to postgres 8.1 or macosx 10.4.3.

Your guess is as good as mine at the moment. One thought that comes to
mind --- did you move the tarfile across machines at any point, and if
so could it have been munged by a Unix/DOS newline conversion?