Re: Valid characters for user/role/group names?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Valid characters for user/role/group names?
Date: 2009-02-25 17:05:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk> writes:
> You'd want to put double quotes around the identifier. Try searching
> for "quoted identifier" in the above page.

Note that the double quotes would be needed when referencing the role
identifier in SQL commands (eg CREATE ROLE). In other contexts, such
as pg_hba.conf or psql's command-line -U switch, the rules might well
be different; you might not need quotes, or you might need some other
kind of quoting. I'd suggest a bit of experimenting before you
settle on a grand plan.