Re: bgwriter, regression tests, and default shared_buffers settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: bgwriter, regression tests, and default shared_buffers settings
Date: 2012-07-18 21:37:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The buildfarm does have the ability to set config data after initdb has
> run (which I just enhanced in the latest release). So a buildfarm owner
> could add a config line for shared_buffers which would override what
> initdb had set.

> Or we could provide an initdb flag which would set an upper bound on
> shared_buffers, and have make check (at least) use it.

> I'd rather not bloat the regression database if we can reasonably avoid
> it. Buildfarm members are often tight on space.

Agreed on not wanting to bloat the regression DB just for this reason.
We see enough "out of disk space" failures already in the buildfarm.

I like the idea of modifying make check only, because then a typical
buildfarm run could exercise both DB-smaller-than-buffers (in the
installcheck case) and DB-larger-than-buffers (in make check).