Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-16 03:42:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Regardless of what I reset my search_path to, I'm going to have access
> to abstime. Is there something else special about it besides being
> a 'system function' and being in pg_catalog to make it always available
> regardless of my search_path?

Read the documentation for search_path: if pg_catalog isn't explicitly
mentioned, we add it implicitly. This is mainly because it would be
contrary to SQL spec (and pretty useless to boot) to not recognize the
standard functions and operators. But beyond that hack, there is no
mechanism other than search_path that determines what's visible or not.