Re: Accessing schema data in information schema

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Accessing schema data in information schema
Date: 2006-03-23 02:38:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com> writes:
> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 13:11, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (Thinks a bit...) Maybe it would work for pg_sequence to be a real
>> catalog with a row per sequence, and we also create a view named after
>> the sequence that simply selects from pg_sequence with an appropriate
>> WHERE condition.

> I'd think that would be a workable solution, with documentation notes that
> this will be deprecated in favor of information_schema in an upcoming
> release ?

Yeah, we could consider the views a transitional thing, and get rid of
them after a release or two. Tell people to change over to either look
in the pg_sequence catalog, or use the information_schema view. Does
that view expose everything that there is, though, or will we have
proprietary extensions that are not in SQL2003?