Re: PQsetdbLogin() and PQconnectdb() fail on HPUX11i 64 bits with empty servername

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jan van der Weijde" <Jan(dot)van(dot)der(dot)Weijde(at)attachmate(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQsetdbLogin() and PQconnectdb() fail on HPUX11i 64 bits with empty servername
Date: 2006-09-23 18:53:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Jan van der Weijde" <Jan(dot)van(dot)der(dot)Weijde(at)attachmate(dot)com> writes:
> I'm using PQsetdbLogin() or PQconnectdb() to connect to a local server
> on an 64bits HP system with O/S HPUX11i. The PostgreSQL version is 8.1.4
> When I compile the client API as 32 bits code, the error does not occur.
> When I do specify localhost or an actual server name both connect
> functions succeed.

What exactly do you mean by "HPUX11i" --- it's not even clear whether
you are talking about a PA-RISC or an Intel platform here? What
compiler are you using, and with what options? (The output of pg_config
would be helpful.)

FWIW, I checked PG 8.1 before release on 11.23, PA-RISC and IA64 both,
and it passed regression tests in 64-bit builds, so it's not completely
broken on that platform. The regression tests do use local connections
by default.