Re: BUG #3619: Renaming sequence does not update its 'sequence_name' field

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Guillaume 'ioguix' de Rorthais" <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3619: Renaming sequence does not update its 'sequence_name' field
Date: 2007-10-03 17:33:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Well, the way it is now is just broken, so IMO we have to either fix it
> or remove it altogether.

> Since having sequence_name in there doesn't let you do anything you
> can't do without it, and there's no easy way to fix it, I'd say let's
> just remove it in 8.3 and do nothing in backbranches.

I don't think this is a good idea. It's removing functionality that
works fine as long as you don't rename sequences. Also, there's still
the notion of someday providing a system catalog or view that shows
parameters of all sequences, and in that view the current column set of
an individual sequence would be what we'd want.

My inclination is to leave it alone for now until we have an approach to
providing that view, and at that time decide what to do about individual
sequences. If we have to change the API, then so be it, but lets do it
just once not twice.