Re: nested xacts: update password file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: nested xacts: update password file
Date: 2004-07-12 19:44:27
Lists: pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> But how is the file used? Where do I put the file, what do I put in
> pg_hba.conf to use the file? Can I have several files, one per
> pg_hba.conf entry? Can I use multiple files with a single pg_hba.conf
> entry? What happens if I have a username that has the separator in it?

You don't do anything with it directly. Just create some users and
assign them some passwords and see if the file updates (or even
more directly, try to log in using password auth). It's just a
transmission mechanism to put the important parts of pg_shadow and
pg_group in a place where the postmaster can read 'em.