Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...
Date: 2000-11-25 22:14:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Lamar Owen writes:
>> Ok, let me repeat -- the '--enable-locale' setting will not affect the
>> collation sequence problem on RedHat. If you set PostgreSQL to use
>> locale, it uses it. If you configure PostgreSQL to not use locale, the
>> collation set by LANG, LC_ALL, or LC_COLLATE is _STILL_ honored, thanks
>> to the libc used.

> Well, I'm looking at Red Hat 7.0 here and the locale variables are most
> certainly getting ignored in the default compile. Moreover, at no point
> did strncmp() in glibc behave as you claim.

I'm having a hard time believing Lamar's recollection, also. I wonder
if there could have been some other factor involved? One possible line
of thought: a non-locale-enabled compilation, installed to replace a
locale-enabled one, would behave rather inconsistently if run on the
same database used by the locale-enabled version (since indexes will
still be in locale order). Depending on what tests you did, you might
well think that it was still running locale-enabled.

BTW: as of my commits of an hour ago, the above failure mode is no
longer possible, since a non-locale-enabled Postgres will now refuse to
start up in a database that shows any locale other than 'C' in pg_control.