Re: do postgresql this job for me ? (firebird user)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: Pg - General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: do postgresql this job for me ? (firebird user)
Date: 2009-05-24 18:21:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> writes:
> On May 24, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> There isn't currently any REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
>> option, but people seem to have a few workarounds that do the job if you
>> really do need to rebuild an index on a live, active table.

> It's pretty straight-forward to do:

> CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY idx_new ON table ... ;
> DROP INDEX idx;
> ALTER INDEX idx_new RENAME TO idx;

However, this doesn't work for an index that's underlying a UNIQUE or
PRIMARY KEY constraint, nor an index that's depended on by a FOREIGN KEY
reference --- the system won't let you drop such indexes. Plus there
are obvious opportunities for human error. So we oughta do REINDEX
CONCURRENTLY someday ...