Re: win32 threads patch vs beta2 - what to do?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 threads patch vs beta2 - what to do?
Date: 2007-10-26 21:18:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> I'm leaning towards applying the patch now, and hoping for 2b to happen.

> I think we should live with the mingw BF breakage for a day or two. The
> patch is clearly an important improvement, but it should be as widely
> tested as possible.

If Dave is intending to build the Windows installer as soon as beta2 is
wrapped, then I agree with this plan. But my understanding was we'd
missed his window for today and so that wouldn't happen till Monday.
Assuming that's true, the idea Bruce and I had discussed on the phone
was:

1. Wrap official beta2 tonight, so that other packagers can work from it
over the weekend;

2. Magnus fixes his patch Sunday and applies it then;

3. Dave builds the Windows installer Monday *from CVS tip*.

So the Windows version would be beta2-plus-a-little but we'd neither
hold up work on other platforms nor break anything in buildfarm.

Just an alternative thought. In any case I agree that we want
Windows testing of beta2 to include this patch.