Re: Idea for improving speed of pg_restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Idea for improving speed of pg_restore
Date: 2003-09-16 19:47:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> Restoring a database involves, for each table:
> 1. Reading table data from the source file;
> 2. Writing data to the database file for the table;
> 3. After that, reading the database file data, and
> 4. Writing the sorted bits to the index file.
> 5. Along with all of this, HEFTY amounts of updates to WAL.

An idea that Marc and Jan and I were kicking around last night was to
offer a GUC option to disable writes to WAL. During initial data load,
you might as well go back to initdb if you have any failure, so why
bother with full ACID compliance? I'm not sure if the performance
benefit would be great enough to make it worth equipping the system
with such a large-caliber foot-gun, but it's something to think about.

I tend to agree with your doubts about parallelizing index builds,
but there may be scenarios where it's a win; it'd depend on your
relative CPU and disk horsepower. (Consider fast disk and multiple
not-so-fast CPUs; serial index builds can only use one of the CPUs.)
Question is, is it a big enough win for enough people to make it worth
supporting?