Re: Mutli-threading and performance of ODBC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Stergios Zissakis" <szis(at)intranet(dot)gr>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Kostas Lykiardopoulos" <klyk(at)intranet(dot)gr>, "Dimitris Pantermalis" <dpant(at)intranet(dot)gr>
Subject: Re: Mutli-threading and performance of ODBC
Date: 2004-03-09 17:11:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I thought unixODBC was merely the driver manager - didn't realise they
> had some drivers as well, hence why I assumed the problem was with
> psqlODBC.

No, they've got a pile of embedded drivers:

$ du unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers
132 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/MySQL/samples
1928 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/MySQL
994 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/PostgreSQL
1054 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/Postgre7.1
88 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/txt/doc
736 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/txt
22 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/odbc
436 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/template
516 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/MiniSQL
570 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/nn
6292 unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers

I have not tried to compare carefully, but judging by the snippet you
just posted versus the KSQO-related code I just grepped for, what's in
unixODBC is a rather distant ancestor of the present psqlODBC. I am not
too sure what the MySQL driver is doing in there either ... I know there
is a separately maintained MyODBC package ...