Re: "Optional ident" authentication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Optional ident" authentication
Date: 2006-11-28 01:15:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> You can accomplish that with
>>
>> local sameuser all ident sameuser
>> local all all pam

> You put "sameuser" in the database column instead of the "user" column -
> was the intentional? I've just tried this with "sameuser" in the user
> column, and it didn't work for me.

You're right, I was confusing the database-column feature with what's
involved here. There isn't really any way for "sameuser" to work in the
user column, since that would require a way to identify the user's
non-database username, which is exactly the province of the auth method.
So never mind :-(.

But I still question whether Jeroen's got any real use case that can't
be handled the other way, viz

local webapp,etc all ident sameuser