Re: Include files for SPI are not installed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Include files for SPI are not installed
Date: 2001-02-07 00:24:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> Karel Zak wrote:
>> I expect header files on /usr/include/pgsql for client programming not
>> for SPI.

> Why? I know of several people doing SPI work with no source tree
> installed.

I agree with Karel on this --- it's difficult to visualize doing useful
SPI work without a source tree at hand, and it also seems unlikely that
SPI authors would get along for long with *only* those header files
needed to pull in spi.h. So I think it's pretty pointless to add just
those header files.

What would make more sense is for the standard install to install only
those headers needed for *client side* programming, and then to have
an optional install target that installs the whole darn src/include
tree. (Or in RPM terms, a client-devel RPM and a separate server-devel
RPM that adds the rest of src/include.) Anything in between is
guaranteed to be the wrong set of files.