Re: vacuum, dead rows, usual solutions didn't help

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gábor Farkas <gabor(at)nekomancer(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum, dead rows, usual solutions didn't help
Date: 2008-01-10 06:26:24
Lists: pgsql-general

=?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E1bor?= Farkas <gabor(at)nekomancer(dot)net> writes:
> basically, the problem is this part of the vacuum-output:

> INFO: "sessions": found 2 removable, 6157654 nonremovable row versions
> in 478069 pages
> DETAIL: 6155746 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.

The problem is that you've got some old open transactions that could
potentially see those recently-dead rows, so VACUUM can't remove the
rows without breaking MVCC rules for those transactions.

Find the clients that are holding open transactions, and zap 'em.

> previously we were running this application with postgresql-7.4, and
> there the vacuuming worked fine. now we migrated this to
> postgresql-8.2.4, and it does not want to vacuum it properly.

I wonder whether you updated the client-side support libraries?