Re: New Contrib Build?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New Contrib Build?
Date: 2005-05-12 03:52:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Peter,
>> I don't see how this makes it any more user friendly or easier on
>> package builders. Is your aim to make building contrib more accessible
>> or building only specific contrib modules more accessible?

> Building specific contrib modules.

On re-reading the thread, I'm more than a bit confused by this response.
I thought you were suggesting that the top-level configure should have
a simple option that says "please build and install all the contrib
modules while you are at it". Right now that requires a separate step
"cd contrib; make; make install" which I agree could be handled by a
top-level configure option. And it would also be reasonable for "make
check" at the top level to include running the contrib regression tests
if this option had been specified. (Memo to Andrew Dunstan: that should
also happen for the PL-specific tests, as soon as they've been
pg_regress-ified.)

What I'm not seeing anywhere here is an argument that we need a
configure option to build just selected ones of the contrib modules.
Certainly the RPM packagers would have no use for that.