Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO
Date: 2011-10-14 21:51:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I meant verbosity, not error level. This quick test shows what I meant
>> -- but it doesn't work; the server log is altered as I expected (and does not
>> include the context lines), but not plpgsql's:

> Yeah, what we'd need is a client_error_verbosity setting.

It seems to me that a client-side facility would be unlikely to do the
right things, because it has not got enough information to know which
messages came from plpgsql RAISE commands. Moreover, it's not apparent
that a one-size-fits-all approach is suitable anyhow: it may be that
some RAISEs don't need context traceback while others could use it.

Now that we have syntax for adding miscellaneous options to RAISE
statements, what I suggest we consider is a RAISE option that suppresses
all context lines for the message, perhaps

RAISE NOTICE 'fee, fi, fo, fum' USING context = false;