Re: pg_dumpall failure - could not access status of transaction

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Robert Leftwich" <pg(at)rtl(dot)fmailbox(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall failure - could not access status of transaction
Date: 2007-02-03 02:21:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Robert Leftwich wrote:
>> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: could not access status
>> of transaction 3183024
>> DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0003": No such file or
>> directory

> If your database system has already experienced on the order of 3183024
> transactions, then you should wonder where that file went.

Yeah. What file names are actually present in $PGDATA/pg_clog/, and
what does pg_controldata say about the current XID counter? We have
seen some bugs where clog files get deleted before they're not needed
anymore :-(

Also, can you show us the pg_filedump output for the page of
pg_description you think is trashed? I find "-i -f" options give
the most useful output usually.